I was part of a movement of "dinosaur moms" when I lived in Maryland (Astrodon Johnstoni is the Maryland state dinosaur.) Which is nothing more than this -- dinosaur moms delight in the half-feral nature of the beasties they parent, even as they whisper Shakespeare and Kierkegaard in their ears at night.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Is Obama Gen X?

Like many Gen X, I feel a seething rage toward the Baby Boom. This Joshua Glenn article and this John Broder article have really unpacked for me a lot of my unexamined political reactions toward the candidates. If I allow myself to think of Obama, who is technically a little too old, as my generation, then I have to admit, his "change" message feels substantial to me.

Whereas if I think of him as just another boomer politician, it rings hollow. I'm inclined to think he's an all-talk, no action boomer.

No comments: