I was part of a movement of "dinosaur moms" when I lived in Maryland (Astrodon Johnstoni is the Maryland state dinosaur.) Which is nothing more than this -- dinosaur moms delight in the half-feral nature of the beasties they parent, even as they whisper Shakespeare and Kierkegaard in their ears at night.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Be Monkeypenny for me



It seems that in Phoenix large stretches of road are closed more frequently and abruptly than anywhere else. And, as I am relatively new to the area and to city driving generally, this usually throws me for a loop. Just today I was taking a carload of kids to a museum when I was re-routed out of my depth. I managed to right my ship, but still had to call My Beloved for back-up, just to be sure.

In our house, this is called monkeypennying, so-called for MonkeyPenny, the voice of reason down at HQ for Spy Fox, the kid-friendly, all-animal send-up of "Get Smart".

It is one of the great perks of married life to have my own personal MonkeyPenny.

No comments: