I was part of a movement of "dinosaur moms" when I lived in Maryland (Astrodon Johnstoni is the Maryland state dinosaur.) Which is nothing more than this -- dinosaur moms delight in the half-feral nature of the beasties they parent, even as they whisper Shakespeare and Kierkegaard in their ears at night.

Friday, August 08, 2008

The Lanyard


And here, I wish to say to her now,
is a smaller gift--not the archaic truth


that you can never repay your mother,


but the rueful admission that when she took
the two-tone lanyard from my hands,
I was as sure as a boy could be
that this useless, worthless thing I wove
out of boredom would be enough to make us even.

--------
Excerpted from The Trouble with Poetry: And Other Poems by Billy Collins

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'm glad you gave Billy Collins credit for the poem. You could also have given the photographer credit for the image, especially since I actually made those lanyards as well as took the photo. Also, please upload the image to your own blog rather than simply hotlinking from mine. When you hotlink, you are using bandwidth that I pay for.

Thanks. I would have emailed you privately but I couldn't find your address listed anywhere.