I was part of a movement of "dinosaur moms" when I lived in Maryland (Astrodon Johnstoni is the Maryland state dinosaur.) Which is nothing more than this -- dinosaur moms delight in the half-feral nature of the beasties they parent, even as they whisper Shakespeare and Kierkegaard in their ears at night.

Sunday, August 31, 2008

That's no PUMA; That's a HOUND!



It has been a great contribution to our family's political perspective having belle-mere around. First of all, she watches the news. I mean, hours and hours of it. So, she's up on things.

But, more important, she's a real-life example of these boomer women everybody's been talking about. She worked for Head Start before Reagan choked it to near-death. Though a college grad, she accepted preposterous under-employment because she was on point with the kids. Even working two jobs, she never rallied financially after her divorce. She saved what she could, but she doesn't have a pension. In short, she is precisely the type of pink-collar, old-school, Great Society liberal you would think would be a PUMA, a hold-out for Hillary.

And, indeed, I think it took some doing before she was comfortable with Obama. The choice of old stand-by Biden may have been a turning point. But, the PUMA turns out to be nothin' but a HOUND dog, after all.

Here's the thing. When I hear her and her peers talk. Oh, they'll vent over how the press did Hillary wrong and they'll shake their heads at how Obama needs some more years on him. But, I don't know how the press keeps finding these weepy boomer women sitting vigil for Hillary. My experience of boomer women is they don't base their voting decisions on whether they personally feel dissed by the process. This is not their first dance and they are not looking for love. They will get on board with the Democrats, not because Obama inspires them. Not because of Obama at all. And no, not really because of Bush either. But because, duh, they've been around.

What? You think they've never seen a fat-cat Republican masquerading as a maverick cowboy before? Never seen a Democrat leading light dismissed as a pretty-boy celeb? They can't decipher the code words? Can't follow the money trail?

Watching the press scrutinize Hillary's wardrobe choices may have been condescending, but y'know what else is condescending? Tokenism. Stunt-casting a woman who was not on anyone's shortlist as your running mate? They've seen that play too. So, it should come as no surprise that early polls show them unimpressed with McCain's choice.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

As a strong Hillary supporter who was not wooed by Obama, I completely agree. So we held out and made a little noise at the convention - that is what the convention is for. It was so that the party as a whole would hear our ideas and make some platform compromises. I am no child - I have yet to have a candidate that I voted for in a presidential primary win the nomination. But I still voted for the person who I believed in so that my voice was heard. No matter how much any Hillary supporter is disappointed she isn't the nominee, if they believe in her platform, what in the WORLD makes the Republicans think we would jump to them? No matter how "maverick" you pretend your stump boy to be and whatever pretty face you pretend has enough expereince to be #2, I was voting for Hillary for her platform, her ideas, and the fact that she was a DEMOCRAT - not because she has the same gender specific organs I do. And, to completely prove they know NOTHING about us, they nominate a woman, who stands for anything but what a true woman should stand for. Sadly, I believe they think that we are truly going to be wooed by their token suprise and show of smoke and mirrors. Wow - just proves women really are the smarter gender ;)

P.S. Sorry for the rant, I loved the post and it got me fired up. I actually saw a bumper sticker yesterday that I HAVE to have and want to give to all my friends. It was a picture of the beauty queen Palin and it said "Yes ladies - McCain and the Republicans REALLY think we are THIS stupid." :) I even made it into a "flair" on Facebook (yours is in your inbox!)

Astrodon Johnstoni said...

Love my new flair!