I was part of a movement of "dinosaur moms" when I lived in Maryland (Astrodon Johnstoni is the Maryland state dinosaur.) Which is nothing more than this -- dinosaur moms delight in the half-feral nature of the beasties they parent, even as they whisper Shakespeare and Kierkegaard in their ears at night.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Wuthering Wuthering Wuthering Heights

I have always suspected this about writing lyrics; the trick is to get other people’s lyrics out of your head. If I said to you, “Ti-ti-ta, ti-ti-ta, ti-ti-ta-tah,” what would you think? But the minute I said, “Wuthering Wuthering Wuthering Heights,” wouldn’t that completely cover the field?

How about this one? Ta-ta-ta Ta-ti-ti-ti Ta-ti-ti-ti Ta-ti-ti-ti Tah.
Can it be anything other than, “We care a lot about the gamblers and the pushers and the freaks.”

So, Dude and Ed are playing and I’m just trying to find a melody line in there and I’m singing “Outside in the hall, there’s a catfight. Outside in the hall, there’s a catfight.” Over and over again with different emotions. Like, pissed off or drowsy or torchy. It sounds cool, but, …

Am I a total hack or is this how you do?

No comments: