I was part of a movement of "dinosaur moms" when I lived in Maryland (Astrodon Johnstoni is the Maryland state dinosaur.) Which is nothing more than this -- dinosaur moms delight in the half-feral nature of the beasties they parent, even as they whisper Shakespeare and Kierkegaard in their ears at night.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Flower in the Attic

Girl's BFF in the neighborhood is a precocious, home-schooled little blossom. She watches the news on pretty much a constant feed and doesn't see the sun. Sometimes she goes on jags where she calls our house a lot. For instance, she was beside herself when Girl was getting ready for her trip to China. It was during all of those lead paint recalls and she was convinced the Chinese were trying to kill us.

She called just now and asked if she'd reached Hilary Clinton's headquarters. Something wicked in me made me give the child the number. Let them hear her theories on campaign strategy. "I like that Obama," she says, "But I worry that he just doesn't have enough experience." All seven and-a-half.

No comments: